- Install Ubuntu from a CD
- Install VMWare player
- Use VMWare player. Works (fairly - see below) well
- Perform a security update
- Pretty much broken from now on...
- The kernel modules are not loaded on startup. If you try and use modprobe they're not found. If you use insmod they load OK.
- Running /etc/init.d/vmware-player start says neither vmmon or . I think this is because it is trying to use modprobe
- If you run the player after insmodding then it runs but networking doesn't seem to work. In general the networking seems very flaky.
And why is the performance of the player so poor? Applications inside the player often pause inexplicably for a minute or more (I think it may be related to networking, for example try ifup with DHCP). Sure it's virtualised so I could understand if there was a resource problem but both CPU and IO are not active. So I just don't know what's going on.
So if anyone is wondering why there aren't any glChess packages from me for non-Ubuntu Dapper systems, now you know.