Thursday, November 11, 2010

LightDM status update

It must be time to update on how progress is going with LightDM.
  • PCMan from LXDE wrote an awesome new greeter that uses GtkBuilder for layout. This allows you to easily theme up new greeters, the default one being the old Industrial theme:


  • There's been some interest in writing a QT based greeter, and I hope we'll be able to show that working soon.
  • I've started to write some documentation.
  • non-proposed LightDM for inclusion in GNOME 3 (I don't feel it will be sufficiently ready in time).  This raised the idea of should we switch display managers in the future and got some good feedback.
  • We had a UDS session on LightDM which also gave some good feedback.  The outcome is that I plan to make LightDM easily installable in Ubuntu 11.04 as an alternative display manager.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks great! Now how can I use that to replace the gdm login screen? I can test it now, but how do I make it the default login manager?

Robert Ancell said...

Anonymous, I will hopefully have it in natty universe in the next few weeks.

Anonymous said...

That's great, but I'm using maverick. I got it from your ppa and now I want to set it as the default

Anonymous said...

Please work with the Debian LXDE folks to get it into Debian (and thus Ubuntu).

Aperture Science Prototype XR7 said...

Can you post an installation guide for Ubuntu 10.04/10.10/11.04?

dtigue said...

So this should be available for me to use now. I'm assuming this is the LightDM that will eventually be default in the 11.10 version, correct? If so than where can I give feedback on it? Are you the lead developer on the project for Canonical? Just trying to figure out whats going on. I've been saying Ubuntu should use lighter weight login manager for a couple of years now. At first I thought Slim was a good candidate until I heard about LightDM around Sept. or Oct. 2010. So I am really excited about this coming change. Why waste resources on a login manager when those resources can better be used on the desktop. Thanks

Rodrigo said...

HI, I like to know if there is a way to install LightDM on fedora 16.
Could you help me with that?