There is a proposed design: (no attribution as it's not clear who made this)
How can you get involved?
If you have some coding skills, then consider making a patch to fix this! This is a well-defined feature request, and should be relatively easy to get to work. Here's how:
- Comment on the bug that you are interested in working on this. Ideally the GNOME System Monitor developers will be able to help you, but I am also watching the bug and willing to help out.
- Get the dependencies required to build the GNOME System Monitor. On Ubuntu this is as easy as: sudo apt-get build-dep gnome-system-monitor.
- Check out the upstream: git clone git://git.gnome.org/gnome-system-monitor.
- Build and test it: ./autogen.sh --prefix=`pwd`/install ; make ; make install ; ./install/bin/gnome-system-monitor.
- Make some changes and repeat from step 4 until everything works.
- When you are done, do a git commit -a; git format-patch origin and attach the patch to the bug report.